Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tararua Biscuits

My new favourite race food.

Tararua biscuits have long been a tramping staple in my family, but I have only recently started eating them for multisport or running. These biscuits served me well at Coromandel Classic and Big O so I thought I would share the recipe. Some muesli bars and gels lose their appeal after consuming them during several hours of hard racing but I haven't managed to get sick of Tararua biscuits yet!

Energy-dense, easy to chew, and very palatable. The perfect race snack.


Ingredients:
  • 250g butter
  • 1 ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ tin condensed milk
  • 2 c flour
  • 2 c scotch oats
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ c coconut
  • ½ c raisins, sultanas, or cranberries

Melt butter, sugar and condensed milk in large pot. Add dry ingredients. Spread onto a greased tray in a roughly 30cm x 30cm square, keeping edges neat and straight.
Cook at 150 C for around 30 – 45 minutes until light to golden brown. Do not overcook – it should still be soft. Cut into 25-30 biscuits, gently loosen and leave on tray to cool and harden.

Can also add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, etc.


Store in ziploc bags and throw into your pack, back pocket, or transition bag.


[Recipe from "The New Zealand Outdoor Cookbook" by Marcelle Pilkinton, 1986]

No comments:

Post a Comment